Project Pinterest: DIY Laundry Detergent


Yes, I've become one of those people that makes their own laundry detergent.

I had to see what all the fuss was about. And if you recall my moss-making project, you'll remember that I clearly have no issue with putting non-food items in my food processor.

Does it really save you tons of money? To be honest, I never really considered laundry detergent a giant expense (perhaps that's because I never wash my clothes...). This guy claims it's about 6 cents per load vs. 21 cents per load for the store-bought stuff. I guess if you're doing multiple loads a day, that would add up but that's just not the case for me.

Is it better? Well, 3 loads in, my clothes are definitely clean and the whites are very bright white.

Is it better for you? Since I have fairly sensitive skin, I've always bought natural and unscented detergents, so could this really be that much better? I don't have the answer yet, but I do like the idea of knowing EXACTLY what is in there. No hidden irritants.

I followed these instructions from Apartment Therapy. It was easy, but not as easy as picking something up at the grocery store...

No comments