With summer just around the corner I sat down with my sister Laura, who is an esthetician and makeup artist in Florida, to get her picks for best beauty products for the summer. She says the key to a summer look is a sunny glow, fresh face and fun wavy beach hair. With no further adieu, here are your summer essentials, straight from the Sunshine State...
1) Get the Glow: Laura recommends Bobbi Brown Bronzers because they not only come in golden and brown hues, but also have more pink-based bronzers that match individual skin tones (she recommends Illuminating Bronzing Powder in "Maui" for my pale skin). The bronzers come in a shimmer or matte (more natural) finish.
2) Protect Your Skin: Laura loves Clarin's SPF 30 if you don't mind investing a bit more money in your sunscreen. For a less pricey option, she also recommends Hawaiian Tropics Sheertouch SPF 30 which has a nice shimmery look and smells great.
3) Don't Forget Your Tresses: Aveda Sun Care Hair Veil spray protects your delicate strands from the sun and has a nice summery scent to it. She also recommends Aveda's Sun Care Hair and Body Cleanser that removes salt and chlorine after you've spent a day in the sun.
4) Quality Exfoliator: A good exfoliator is essential in the summer to get a glowing look. Always exfoliate before putting on self-tanner to reduce streaking and flaking. Laura loves Clinique "Sparkle Skin" Body Exfoliator because it smells minty and wakes you up in the shower.
5) Natural Looking Tan: Laura uses Jergens Natural Glow Revitalizing Daily Moisturizers gradual tanner daily. For a more dramatic tan she recommends Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel, because it goes on very smooth and silky (not sticky) and has a lovely, light scent. It also doesn't streak or leave you orange and adjusts to what your natural tan would look like depending on your skin tone.
6) Soft, Smooth Skin: Laura uses Aveda Beautifying Composition after shaving to get smooth, silky legs. This jojoba-based oil can be used for body, hair, and massage.
7) Beachy Waves: For sexy, summer waves she uses Fredrick Fekkai Beach Waves spray. But if you’re using it at home (and not in ocean water) get the diffuser attachment for your hair dryer and use that to get the full effect.
8) Bright Beach-Ready Toes: Laura loves Essie brand nail polish in bright colors like Wife Goes On.
Thanks Laura Lu for all your suggestions - I'm ready to hit the beach (if the sun would just come out!)
PS. Tips from Laura on how to wear neon make-up.