Pregnancy Brain and Nesting

Rafa, doing his own type of "nesting" with the baby's clothes
Two things that I was skeptical about before getting pregnant were "pregnancy brain" and "nesting." I'm here to confirm that these are very real phenomenon, at least for me.

First, "pregnancy brain:" I was told that women in pregnancy (and especially late pregnancy) have a special knack for forgetting things and being spacey. This is supposedly due to hormones and just generally being distracted by all of the change. In my early pregnancy I was like, that's BS, I'm the same as I was before. And then the third trimester hit and I've been a total space-cadet for the past six weeks. Yesterday I couldn't find my cell phone and finally realized it was...in the REFRIGERATOR. I'm not making this up, I had thrown it in my Starbucks bag with a salad and put it in the fridge where it sat for a couple of hours, chilling.

Second, "nesting:" again, up until a few weeks ago I kept saying nesting isn't real, we are so unprepared for the baby, I haven't done anything to the nursery, etc. And then somewhere around 33 weeks I went into power mode and have been making "To Do" lists galore, organizing closets, washing and folding tiny clothes...Patrick even scrubbed down the refrigerator for me! We also took a "baby care" class from our doula, Vanessa, last weekend, which helped make us both feel a bit more prepared for baby boy's arrival. Check out the adorable pictures of Patrick "changing" his first diaper. :)
Patrick "changing his first diaper" on cow-baby.
Did you "nest" or find yourself forgetful during pregnancy? Any stories to make me feel more normal are much appreciated!

7 comments

  1. Wait until you get mommy brain! That is also very real and worsens exponentially with each kid. I've put bowls full of food in the dish cupboards or stuff that was supposed to go in the refrigerator in the microwave. I forget people's names who I've known for years. And so on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean this doesn't go away when he's born!?! Dang it! ;)

      Delete
  2. I haven't had too much pregnancy brain...yet, but I do feel the nesting urge.

    BTW - where is your glider from! I'm in the market for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the glider at West Elm , it was like 60% because of "damage" that my dad was able to fix in an hour. Lucky find!

      Delete
  3. Before Jenny was born I was driving home from work and stopped to get gas in our VW Rabbit. I stood and watched the gas run back out of the car in amazement! I truly thought something was wrong with my gas tank. After a few minutes of standing there, I remembered I had gotten gas that morning. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious and totally sounds like something I would do right now!

      Delete
  4. Before Jenny was born I was driving home from work and stopped to get gas in our VW Rabbit. I stood and watched the gas run back out of the car in amazement! I truly thought something was wrong with my gas tank. After a few minutes of standing there, I remembered I had gotten gas that morning. Duh!

    ReplyDelete