I know it's only the third week in January, but I'm feeling pretty good about how my new year resolution is going so far! Now that a box of local produce arrives on my doorstep every Thursday morning I have to Google up fun recipes to use with veggies I've never cooked before.
This week I wanted to use my butternut squash and curly kale in a recipe together, and boy did I find a good one. This was easy and delicious, the perfect combo.
Butternut Squash and Kale Gnocchi
Adapted from The Food Network
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I softened mine up in the microwave first)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 8 cups) -- I didn't have this much but it was still good.
- 1 17.5-ounce package potato gnocchi
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (I used a lot more than this!)
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large ovenproof skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until slightly soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Add the chicken broth to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the kale and cook until it wilts slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the gnocchi, stirring to coat. Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in 1/4 cup parmesan and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan transfer to the broiler and cook until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.