Missing Downton? What to Watch Now

Who else is sad that season 2 of Downton Abbey is over and we have to wait until January 2013 (in the US) for it's glorious return? Here are a few things Teresa and I have found to fill the Downton sized hole in our lives and our need for British period drama.

Available on Netflix Instant:

Land Girls Follows the lives of four women in the Women’s Land Army durring WW2.  
Season 1 is available on Netflix.

Bleak House Based on the Charles Dickens novel by the same name. 
The cast includes Carey Mulligan and Gillian Anderson, random, I know.

Any Human Heart Another miniseries from Masterpiece Classic. 
This follows one man through his life, from school in the 1930's through WW2 and beyond.

Also check out Wives and Daughters, Island at War (with Downton's Joanne Froggat), Daniel Deronda (with Downton's Hugh Bonneville), Gosford Park (with Downton's Maggie Smith), I Capture the Castle and Wuthering Heights



Available on DVD:
Upstairs Downstairs A sequal of sorts to the 1970’s TV show, takes place in 1936 and similar to Downton, captures the lives of the wealthy living in the home and the servants down below.
Cranford Follows the lives of widowed women in a 1840's English village. Judi Dench is in this one.
Pride and Prejudice I love both the BBC miniseries and the 2005 movie version..."You've bewitched me, body and soul and I love, I love, I love you." Oh P & P...
Nicholas Nickelby  Based on Charles Dickens, cast includes Anne Hathaway and Christopher Plummer.

2 comments

  1. I'm so glad you posted this!! Most of my shows are going on hiatus and I need some new ones, especially anything in the same vein as my dear Downton Abbey. I'm also just finishing up reading Wuthering Heights and am looking forward to comparing it to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched Season 1 of Land Girls last weekend! Interesting to think of women going to work on farms during the war. I grew up on a farm, no drama happening there, as compared to Land Girls.

    ReplyDelete